Chapter Ten

St. James’ Parish during the Episcopate of the Right Reverend Arthur Crawshay Alliston Hall, D.D.


Special Convention of the Diocese was held at St. Paul’s Church, Burlington, June twenty-two, 1893, for the election of a Bishop to succeed the Right Reverend William Henry Augustus Bissell, DD

Twenty-seven clergymen were present and thirty-three parishes were represented by the laity.

The Rev. Dr. J. Isham Bliss, Rector of St. Paul’s Church, Burlington, and President of the Standing Committee, was the presiding officer of the Convention, and Mr. Thomas H. Canfield was elected Secretary.

After an address by the Rev. Dr. Bliss, the Convention proceeded to the election of a bishop.

The roll of the clergy and laity was called and it was found that upon the fourth ballot the Rev. Samuel Hart, DD, of the Diocese of Connecticut and Dean of the Berkeley Divinity School, Middletown, had been elected.

After the singing of the Gloria in Excelsis and closing prayers the Convention adjourned.

A special Convention of the Diocese was held at St. Paul’s Church, Burlington, on Wednesday, August thirty, 1893.
This Convention was called in response to a summons of the Standing Committee as follows:

"To the Clergy and Laity of the Diocese of Vermont:

"At a meeting of the Standing Committee held on the fifth day of July, 1893, it was moved:

"Whereas, the Rev. Samuel Hart, DD, recently elected Bishop by the Convention of this Diocese, has declined said election,

"Resolved. That in accordance with Title 1, Canon 8, Sec. 4, Diocesan Canons, a special Convention of this Diocese be called to meet in St. Paul’s Church, Burlington, on Wednesday the thirtieth day of August next at 11:00 o’clock A.M. to elect a Bishop in place of William Henry Augustus Bissell, DD, deceased,

"Therefore, I, J. Isham Bliss, the President of the Standing Com-mittee, do hereby summon a Special Convention of this Diocese to meet at the time and place aforesaid.

J. Isham Bliss."


The Convention was then organized, twenty-seven clergymen being present, and thirty-five parishes being represented by the Laity, and proceeded to the election.

The roll of the Clergy and Laity was called and it was found that upon the second ballot the Rev. Arthur C. A. Hall, MA, of the Diocese of Massachusetts had received a majority of votes of both orders and was therefore elected Bishop.

The Rev. George Lynde Richardson, DD, in his biography, "Arthur C. A. Hall, Third Bishop of Vermont" has the following facts of interest in regard to the election of Bishop Hall: (Arthur C. A. Hall, Third Bishop of Vermont," by the Rev. George Lynde Richardson. Houghton Mifflin & Co.)

"Father Hall’s friend, Mr. Charles E. Graves, of New Haven, Connecticut, treasurer of Trinity College, Hartford, and a devout churchman, was allied with Vermont by many ties, and it happened that immediately after Dr. Hart’s declination, his sisters, Mrs. E. L. Temple, of Rutland, and Mrs. W. H. Collins, wife of the Rector of Saint Michael’s, Brattleboro, were visiting him.

"Mr. Graves asked who would be chosen as Bishop of Vermont, and when they replied that there seemed to be no one in view, he said that he had heard that Father Hall, who had been so successful in Boston, would welcome an opportunity to return to New England, and suggested that his name should be put forward.

"Mrs. Collins was so impressed by the possibility that she telegraphed to her husband and Mrs. Temple communicated in the same way with Mr. Temple, who was at the time treasurer of the Diocese of Massachusetts and a layman of wide influence.

"These two men undertook to consult with the leaders among the clergy and lay people as to the possibilities of such a choice.

"There were, of course, objections.

"Mr. Temple used to say that when he first suggested the idea he was sure of being met by one of three objections.

"Some people said, ‘You can’t elect him.’ Others said: ‘The Cowley Fathers will not release him’ - while others declared that the ‘Standing Committee would never confirm the election.’ It proved, however, that no one of them was right. Father Hall was elected on the second ballot. His reply to the committee that notified him of his election was that his acceptance must wait upon the action of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist and the Standing Committee in America, but implied that; if this action were favorable he would accept.

"It was not until October that the Chapter was held in Cowley, and when the question was submitted as to whether or not Father Hall should be released in the event that his election was confirmed, there was but one dissenting vote. It was felt that Vermont was truly a missionary field and one to which the life of a member of the Order might fitly be devoted.

"Father Hall then accepted the election in the following letter:

"Saint John’s House, Oxford.
October 3, 1893.


"I am now able to declare my readiness to accept the office to which the Diocese of Vermont has chosen me, provided, of course, that the election receives the confirmation required by the Canons. You will pardon the delay since my acknowledgment of your notification of the election. This was unavoidable. Besides the time required for my own consideration of the very important question, a Chapter of the Brotherhood could not be held to consider the subject of my release until there has been opportunity to communicate with members at a distance.

"All has now been done in conformity with the Statutes, and the Society of Saint John the Evangelist, with the concurrence of the Bishop of Oxford as Visitor, has formally released me from all obligations to the community, that I may be free to accept your call.
"Begging your prayers that all may be for the glory of God and the good of His Church,

"I am, your faithful servant in Christ,



The services at the consecration of the Rt. Rev. Arthur Crawshay Alliston Hall, DD, as third Bishop of the Diocese of Vermont, were held in St. Paul’s Church, Burlington, on February second, 1894, the Feast of the Purification.

The services began with a celebration of the Holy Communion at 7:30 A.M. with the Rev. William H. Collins, Rector of St. Michael’s Church, Brattleboro, as Celebrant, and with the Rev. Canon J. B. Davidson of the Diocese of Montreal, Canada, as Epistler, and the Rev. Henry M. Tarberl of St. Stephen’s Church, Boston, Massachusetts, as Gospeler.

The consecration service was held at 11 o’clock, with the following Bishops officiating:

The Consecrator, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Henry Adams Neeley, Bishop of Maine, acting for the Presiding Bishop of the Church; the Co-Consecrators, the Rt. Rev. Dr. William Woodruff Niles, Bishop of New Hampshire and the Rt. Rev. Dr. William Lawrence, Bishop of Massachusetts; the Presenting Bishops, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Leighton Coleman, Bishop of Delaware and the Rt. Rev. Charles C. Grafton, Bishop of Fond du Lac.

The Epistle was read by the Bishop of Fond du Lac; the Gospel by the Archbishop of Ontario, the Rt. Rev. John T. Lewis; the sermon was preached by the Bishop of Delaware.

The Presbyters in attendance on the bishop-elect were the Rev. Dr. J. Isham Bliss, of the Diocese of Vermont, and the Rev. Dr. Lucius Waterman, of the Diocese of New Hampshire.

The Rev. George Y. Bliss acted as Bishop Neeley’s Chaplain and the Rev. William Farrar Weeks as Master of Ceremonies.

Bishop Coleman’s sermon was a scholarly discourse which emphasized that a great trust was committed to our branch of Christ’s Church when in the language uniformly found in the royal charters laid upon those who applied for them, is enjoined "the duty of evangelizing the new world."

In 1853 Sir Humphrey Gilbert’s proposed expedition was commended to the English people as having as its chief object: "the carriage of God’s Word into those mighty and vast countries.

It was the faith of the Church of England, he said, that was chosen in those early days to be God’s instrument for evangelizing the New World. Yet for two whole centuries this Church lived in this country, Episcopal only in name, with no adequate means of propagating the faith. Fidelity to the principles underlying the Episcopate finally gained its own reward in the establishment of Episcopal government in the United States.

"To the number of those who have been charged with this solemn trust on behalf of Christ’s Church, is added one who has been trained under the best of instructors and one who is well fitted to be an endearing link between the venerated mother and daughter, as loyal as any she has ever borne."

Bishop Hall presided over the 104th annual Convention of the Diocese, which was held at St. Luke’s Church, St. Albans, June seven, 1894. A brief outline of the first convention address of Bishop Hall will reveal some of the working principles, which guided him in his administration of the affairs of the Diocese, and also point out the secret of his rare leadership.

"No reasonable person," he said, "will imagine that development involves identity of method."

"The same principles under different circumstances and at different times will be manifest in varying forms, and each man, be he Bishop or Priest, must seek to be his best self, not a poor reproduction of some predecessor, and to use his gifts, whatever they may be, for the up-building of the work which is entrusted to him for a time."

As to Lay Readers Bishop Hall felt that without this help many of our congregations would have suffered badly, yet he feared a danger lest a permitted use should become an abuse.

The Canons of the general Church carefully guard the sanction, which they give to the ministrations of Lay Readers.


1. They must receive a formal and written license from the Bishop of the Diocese.
2. Where there is a Rector such license is only to be given on his request and recommendation.
3. This license can only be given for a definite period, in no case longer than a year, at the end of which time it may be formally renewed.
4. The license is given for a particular place.
5. A Lay Reader is always to work under direction, either of the Minister in Charge or of the Bishop.
6. This applies to the sermons he reads to the congregation.
7. A special license is required from the Bishop to authorize the Lay Reader to deliver addresses of his own.


It is a distinct abuse, he maintained, that a Parish or Mission should be in charge of a Lay Reader.

The reason is, he said, that apart from the probable injury to the young man, without the grace and responsibility of Holy Orders, the practice tends to lower the whole conception of the pastoral office, too little understood among our people generally, as if the chief work of the clergy was to conduct services and to deliver sermons, instead of being (quoting the words of Richard Hooker) "spiritual and ghostly physicians, the guides and pastors of redeemed souls, whose office doth not only consist in general persuasiveness to amendment of life, but also in the private, particular cure of diseased minds."

As to the celebration of Holy Communion the Bishop said we should beware of anything that tends to sanction the idea that the Sacrament of Our Lord’s Body and Blood is an occasional rite for especially devout persons. An addition to the regular Sunday morning service, rather than the normal and central act of the Church’s approach to God, the Lord's Service for the Lord's Day, without taking part in which no primitive Christian would have been considered to have properly kept Sunday.

"So far as I know," said Bishop Hall, "there are only ten parishes in the Diocese with a regular weekly celebration of the Holy Communion.
"I trust that before long every parish will have a Sunday Eucharist, or at least that every priest will celebrate within the limits of his Cure each Sunday, either at an earlier hour or at the forenoon service. The practice of celebrating the Holy Communion in the afternoon, in mission stations at a distance from the central church, I cannot approve, as we should avoid anything that would seem to show our indifference to truly Catholic tradition."

The counsel of the Bishop here given in both these matters was undoubtedly at variance with much of the practice of those days, but his leadership was strong and as the years passed these vigorously uttered teachings resulted in the establishment of a normal rule for the diocese.

As to vested choirs Bishop Hall was not so successful in opposing what had become a prevailing custom in the American Episcopal Church. Of women in vestments he said: "I cannot think that the novelty of ‘vested female choristers,’ at any rate of girls dressed up like boys is at all to be commended. I have no sort of objection to girls and women singing in church; nor should I seriously object to the female choristers wearing a distinctive dress, if this be thought necessary or desirable, but then let the garb be feminine; to adopt what by tradition is a species of male ecclesiastical attire - cassock, cotta and cap - seems to me a great mistake, giving in the church apparent countenance to the idle but mischievous attempt of some to obliterate the distinctions between the sexes, whereas our real aim should be in all ways to help both man and woman to be their very best, each according to their kind."

"Christian education according to the principles of the Church," the Bishop said, "has been from the beginning a conspicuous feature at least in the ideal of the Diocese of Vermont.

"Our two schools must be a subject of deep and anxious interest to a new Bishop.

"Both have done good work in the past. For myself, I shall not be content until they are placed on a more truly diocesan basis; the financial responsibility and so the real management being shouldered by the Trustees; and the charges so reduced that we may not be Out of reach of the average Vermont boys and girls, for whose education, rather than of pupils from a distance, the Schools are primarily intended.

"To attain both of these objects Endowments are necessary, and for help of this kind, even in comparatively small sums, I would mast earnestly plead."

During the Episcopate of Bishop Hall the following clergymen served as Rectors of St. James’ Parish:


The Rev. James Curtiss Carnahan (1894-1897)
The Rev. Henry B. Ensworth (1897-1899)
The Rev. S. Halsted Watkins (1900-1904)
The Rev. Alfred Taylor (1905-1911)
The Rev. W. M. Warlow (1911-1915)
The Rev. Van Rennselaer Gibson (1917-1918)
The Rev. Sherwood Roosevelt (1918-1923)
The Rev. John Mills Gilbert (1923-1925)
The Rev. George Robert Brush (1926-1939)


At a meeting of the Vestry of St. James’ Church held on September tenth, 1893, a call was extended to the Rev. James Curtiss Carnahan of Geneva, New York, to the rectorship of the parish with salary at the rate of $700 a year and the use of the parsonage.

At this time the diocesan Journal shows that there were 85 families, 159 communicants and a Sunday School, including teachers, of 58. The offerings for Diocesan Missions were $37.79 and for Domestic Missions from the Sunday School, $25.04.

The services were held twice each Sunday in the church, once every other Sunday in the Union Church at Sunderland, once on each important Holy Day, twice between Sundays in each week during Lent, once each day in Holy Week and twice on Good Friday.

Mr. Carnahan had gained a valuable experience of ten years in business before studying for Holy Orders.

He was born at Ravenna, Ohio, April eighth, 1858. After graduation from the Ravenna High School, he entered Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, in 1875.

In 1878, while still an undergraduate at Wesleyan University he decided, on account of his health, to give up his studies for a time, and went to Pittsford, New York, where he entered the employ of Rand and Company, powder manufacturers.

In 1887 Mr. Carnahan married Susan Eliza Sutherland. In 1889 he entered Hobart College where he graduated with honors in 1891, being elected a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society. For several years he was an Instructor in Greek at Hobart College.

The Rev. George R. Brush, of the class of 1892, was one of his students in Greek.

Mr. Carnahan was ordained to the Diaconate at Dresden, New York, by Bishop Coxe on April sixth, 1891, and at Christ Church, Pittsford,

New York, he was ordained to the Priesthood by Bishop Coxe on May twenty-seventh, 1893.

Soon after his ordination to the Priesthood he was called to the rectorship of St. James’ Church, Arlington, where he labored faithfully for three years.

Mr. Carnahan was a scholar and also a man of practical business qualifications.

In 1895 the chairman of the Diocesan Education Committee, the Rev. Edmund B. Smith, of Vergennes, reporting for the Committee, advocated the establishment of parochial schools in some parishes, stating that in the Public Schools Agnosticism was in some places openly taught, and that the highest Christian virtues were often practically suppressed. Mr. Smith mentioned the fact that in Arlington such a school had been opened during the past year.

Mrs. Carnahan, in writing of her husband’s work in Arlington says that in the summer of 1894 a young teacher was secured, and Mr. Carnahan and he conducted a school in the lower room of the Town Hall, for pupils who had finished the grades in the Public School.
It will be remembered that during the rectorship of the Rev. Gemont Graves such a school was maintained for several years.

This effort on Mr. Carnahan’s part was evidently not sufficiently supported as several of the students went away to school the next year and the few that were left came to the Rectory for their studies.

Mrs. Carnahan tells of Mr. Carnahan’s "call" to Sherburne.

The Waldo Clement family of New York spent the summer of 1896 in Arlington; Mr. Carnahan tutored their son and his friend in Greek that summer.

When the Clement family left Arlington Mr. Carnahan gave the son a bag of tomatoes grown in his garden at the Rectory.
Mrs. Clement exclaimed: "There! That is the man for mother’s farm"!

(The Church of Our Saviour at Sherburne was erected and endowed by Mrs. Charles Clement in memory of her family, together with a Rectory and Farm, the amount of the endowment being $35,000.00.)

This is the inside history of Mr. Carnahan’s call to the Church and Farm at Sherburne where he and his wife went in January 1897, and where he ministered faithfully for nearly twenty-two years.

He died in Sherburne, Vermont, October twenty-seventh, 1918 at the age of sixty years and was buried in Pittsford, New York.
On May fourteenth, 1897 a Call was extended to the Rev. Henry Boardman Ensworth of Brownsville, Diocese of Pittsburgh, to the rectorship of St. James’ Parish.

Mr. Ensworth accepted the call and entered upon the charge of the parish June fifteenth, 1897.

During the interval between the rectorship of Mr. Carnahan and Mr. Ensworth, the Vestry voted to build a recess chancel.

The funds raised for this purpose by subscription by Mrs. Jesse Burdett amounted to $1,677.80. The contract for the work was awarded to Mr. Lyman who made a bid of $1,750. The total amount of his services was $1,912.70, leaving the parish with a debt of $234.90.

In May 1899 a proposition was made by the Rev. Charles S. Hale, of Claremont, New Hampshire, to complete the work of the renovation of the church without any charge to the parish.

The offer was made in view of a proposal by Mr. Horace Weston Thompson of Bellows Falls, to complete the improvements in the chancel in memory of his wife, Mrs. Georgianna Thompson, provided that the supervision of the work be placed in the hands of the Rev. Dr. Hale.
The Vestry accepted this offer in the following resolution:

"Whereas the Rev. Charles S. Hale has submitted a proposition for the reseating and the re-flooring of the church, Resolved, that the Rev. Charles S. Hale be and is hereby authorized to carry out his plans and to make such other changes and alterations in the church as may seem to him necessary, provided that the needful funds can be secured without placing any pecuniary encumbrance on the parish."
The important changes included the removal of the galleries, the high pews, the high pulpit, the installation of the organ in the chancel, and the refurbishing and reseating of the church and chancel. The making and carving of the woodwork in the chancel and sanctuary stalls and the placing of the large window above the altar were done by a local firm, A. D. Canfield, manufacturers of sashes, blinds and doors. Charles Canfield, a member of the firm, son of Orlando Canfield, was an expert cabinet-maker and wood-carver, and the beautiful and churchly workmanship in the chancel and sanctuary was done by him assisted by his brother, Frank N. Canfield who was for many years a vestryman and in the later years of his life was Senior Warden.

On the floor of the chancel was placed the following inscription in brass:

"To the Glory of God and in Memory of Georgianna Thompson this chancel was finished and furnished." - 1899


The Diocesan Journal of 1900 states that "the chancel and walls of the church have been decorated and the church refurbished through the generosity of Mr. Horace W. Thompson of Bellows Falls, in loving memory of his wife, a former parishioner of St. James."

A mural Tablet to her memory was placed in the chancel on the south wall and a beautiful communion service was presented by her two sons.

Bishop Hall also mentioned the improvements in the church in his address to the convention in 1900, stating that it was a matter for congratulation and thankfulness that new churches had been built and consecrated during the year at Castleton and Middletown Springs and that the church building at Arlington had been entirely renovated.

"For the supervision of this work," he said, "resulting in one of the most beautiful and devotional interiors in Vermont, we are greatly indebted to a former Rector, the Rev. Charles S. Hale, of Claremont, New Hampshire."

At a Vestry meeting on January thirty-first, 1900 the following testimonial was adopted:

"The Wardens and Vestry of St. James’ Church, Arlington, Vermont, desire to place upon their permanent records this expression of their gratitude and indebtedness to Mr. Horace Weston Thompson, of Bellows Falls, Vermont, and to the Rev. Charles Stuart Hale, of Claremont, New Hampshire. To Mr. Thompson for the generosity with which he has renewed and beautified the church in which his beloved wife was so long a worshipper; a fitting testimonial to her memory, which is keenly appreciated by all in this parish who had the pleasure and privilege of associating with her in those earlier days of her useful and kindly life. To Mr. Hale for the very free gift of his time and talents in directing this work and bringing it to such a successful conclusion, most practical proof of his abiding interest in the people among whom he did his first parochial work.

Secretary for the Vestry."


The writer chanced to mention to a friend, whose childhood was spent in Arlington, that he was gathering materials for a history of the parish.

"I have very vivid pictures of the Arlington church in 1895," she said. "We were spending our summers here then. I was a little tot about eleven years old, and I had just been confirmed and had been charged by my rector to go to church regularly wherever I might be. I can remember the high backed pews. We were taught in the parish where I was confirmed to kneel on the floor for the prayers, but the people here at that time were not so particular about the kneeling posture.

"When we girls came into our pews we knelt down and were lost to view. This furnished some amusement for the congregation.
"We were quite fascinated by the gates at the ends of the pews, and it was a special thrill to be the one to close and lock the gate.
"We were very devoted to the organist, Mrs. Clara Stewart, who led the choir for many years. She was a very religious and devout person. I remember that Mrs. Ensworth, the Rector’s wife, was also one of our favorites.

"When we first came to the parish the church had not only high-backed pews, but also the high pulpit and galleries, a mark of the church of the old time. A few years afterward changes were made. The recess chancel was added; the high pulpit and galleries were taken down and the organ and choir were removed to the chancel.

"I think you ought to have in your book a little inside history about the ‘hanging pulpit.’ We girls liked to watch the men as they were at work on the repairs of the church. We were particularly interested in the construction of the pulpit. Charles Canfield, son of Orlando Can-field, an expert cabinetmaker, was doing the work, and was assisted by Mr. Frank Canfield, a wood carver. We did not like the way they were building the pulpit and told them so. I said - ‘You ought to have a "hanging pulpit" (speaking as if they ought to know that was the correct thing). They are much better than the pulpits with posts built up from the floor.’

"What might be a ‘hanging pulpit?’ they asked.

"After explaining our idea, very crudely, of a pulpit with an invisible support, the men seemed to be impressed with it and began to experiment with the result that the hanging pulpit became a reality.

"It was accomplished by the placement of an iron bar in the wall and projecting it under the pulpit for its support. For nearly fifty years this pulpit has stood with no evidence of any impending disaster. Bishop Hall was apparently a little skeptical of it and preferred to preach standing in the chancel."

Careful research has been made to gain information in regard to the Rev. Henry Ensworth but his connection with the parish was of so short duration, less than two years, that little data is available.

Mr. Ensworth presented his resignation to the Vestry at its meeting on May third, 1899, which was laid on the table.

As a Vestry meeting held on June eighth, 1899, the resignation of Mr. Ensworth was accepted.

On February sixth, 1900, the Vestry extended a call to the Rev. Sherwood Roosevelt of Brooklyn.

The connection of Mr. Roosevelt with the parish at this time and the reason for his decision not to accept the call is stated in a letter from Mrs. Roosevelt recently received.

Mrs. Roosevelt says that her husband came to Arlington in the winter of 1 899-1900 after a severe illness.

He held the first service in the renovated church when the chancel was added, the seats changed and the church decorated.

Mr. Roosevelt came to Arlington through Dr. James H. Canfield, Mrs. Dorothy Canfield Fisher’s father.

When the chancel was dedicated in May 1900, the Bishop (Bishop Hall) and several clergy, former Rectors were present.

Mr. Roosevelt was called as Rector at this time, but felt, Mrs. Roosevelt says, that he could not accept for family reasons.

"But we never lost a chance," she says, "to go to Arlington, and during the eight years that Mr. Roosevelt was connected with the City Mission Society in New York we always spent our vacations in Arlington, and one time spent two months in the summer when the Rector went to England."

On September seventh, 1900 a call was extended by the Vestry to the Rev. S. Halsted Watkins, of Calvary Parish, New York.

The call was accepted by Mr. Watkins in the following letter:


"To the Wardens and Vestrymen of St. James’ Parish, Arlington, Vermont.

"Dear Sirs:

"I hereby accept the rectorship of St. James’ Church, and I will enter upon my duties on All Saints’ Day, November first. In reaching my decision I have sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit who alone can give me wisdom and strength for the work whereunto I believe He has called me.

"In full reliance upon Divine help, and counting on the loyal support and hearty cooperation and sympathy of all my parishioners I anticipate with joy our work for Christ and His Church.

Faithfully yours,



In making special mention of the lives and works of the various Rectors of this parish the object is not a perfunctory one, but primarily to do honor to those who have served the Church in a country parish which may be regarded as representing the average rural parish in Vermont.

The Rectors of this parish as a group, too, represent the average type of clergyman in Vermont, each making his individual contribution, some excelling in learning, others in preaching, still others as faithful pastors.

The Rev. Mr. Watkins was one of the rare priests who was gifted as scholar, preacher and pastor.

His ministry in Arlington was fruitful not only in the parish where he became much beloved, but in the community.

When in his later ministry he sought a home he found it here in Arlington, and during his years of retirement he became a leader in community enterprises and because of his interest and activities on behalf of the local baseball team, the Athletic Association of the town, after his death, as their tribute to him, linked his name to the community baseball field with the following inscribed standard erected on the field: "The Watkins Memorial Baseball Field."

Schureman Halsted Watkins studied at Union College, Schenectady, New York, where he was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1882, receiving the Master of Arts degree three years later.

He graduated from the Berkeley Divinity School in Middletown, Connecticut, in 1885. He was ordained Deacon in 1885, and Priest in 1886 when he was an Assistant at St. Andrew’s Church, Meriden, Connecticut, and became Assistant at the Church of the Ascension, New Haven in 1888. In 1891 he went to Grace Church, Norwalk, Connecticut, where he was Rector for six years.

In 1897 he came to New York to be Vicar of Calvary Chapel.

From 1900 to 1911 Mr. Watkins was in Vermont, at St. James Arlington for four years (1900-1904) and at St. Lukc’s Church, St. Albans, seven years (1904-1911).

During his rectorship at Arlington Mr. Watkins not only succeeded in a marked degree in advancing the spiritual welfare of the parish, but he was actively interested in diocesan work. As an instance of his interest he joined with the Rector at Bennington, Rev. Philip Schuylcr, in starting a mission at North Pownal, Vermont. While these two priests were engaged in work there ten persons were confirmed.

That the Vestry appreciated the services and ministry of Mr. Watkins is shown by the following resolution adopted by the Vestry in May 1902.

"In view of the magnificent work done in this parish by our Rector the Rev. S. H. Watkins since assuming charge of our church,

"Resolved: That the Vestry extend to Rev. S. H. Watkins their heartfelt thanks and assurances of their hearty support in the future as in the past.

"Resolved: That his salary be $850 per annum and the use of the Rectory commencing May 1, 1902."

During Mr. Watkins’ rectorship a memorial Bronze Tablet was given by Mr. Sylvester Deming in memory of his mother Mrs. Mary Chittenden Deming, who was a devoted member of the parish for nearly half a century.

A font of white marble was also given by Mr. J. R. Judson in memory of his wife, Mrs. Virginia P. Judson.

Returning to New York in 1911, Mr. Watkins was Chaplain 0f the Tombs Prison for eight years, and was again in Vermont from 1919 to 1922 as Rector of St. Paul's church, Burlington.

In 1922 and 1923, he was Chaplain for the New York City Mission. After his retirement in 1930, Mr. Watkins lived in Arlington, and in 1932 he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity from Union College as a tribute to his work in the New York City Mission and in recognition of his completion of fifty years in the ministry and priesthood of the Church.

Dr. Watkins was a deputy to the General Conventions of 1910 and 1922 and also was an examining Chaplain and a member of the Standing Committee in the Diocese of Vermont.

Dr. Watkins married Miss Helen Randolph Smith, of New York City and Bridgeport, Connecticut, who died in 1934. Later he married Mrs. Anne White. His daughter is Mrs. Edward Cushing, of New Canaan, Connecticut, who was formerly on the editorial staff of the New York Herald Tribune.

Dr. Watkins died in the Albany City Hospital on May twenty-eighth, 1938. A Requiem Eucharist and the Burial Office were held at St. James Church, Arlington, on May thirty-first, 1938.

The following clergy took part in these services: at the Requiem, - the Rev. Philip Schuyler, assisted by the Rev. George R. Brush, Rector.

At the Burial Office, - the Rt. Rev. Vedder Van Dyck, DD; the Rev. Norman P. Dare, of Bennington; the Rev. Stanley C. Ripper, and the Rev. William F. Lewis, of Burlington; the Rev. Henry Hogg, of Granville, New York; and the Rev. C. H. McCurdy, of Jamaica, Vermont.

The interment was in the St. James’ Church Cemetery, Arlington.

The Rev. Alfred Taylor succeeded the Rev. S. Halsted Watkins as Rector of St. James’ Parish, entering upon the rectorship in March 1905.
He is remembered as a good musician with an unusually fine tenor voice. His activities were especially appreciated in his leadership of the choir. With Mr. Clarence E. Hard as organist and Mr. Taylor’s musical talents in the choir the services of the church were impressive.

It is recorded in the Mountain Echo of February 1907 that an organ recital was given in the church by Mr. H. W. Congdon, of Brooklyn, New York, assisted by the choir.

Mr. Taylor is also remembered as a good pastor and an active missionary worker.

During his rectorship regular services with good congregations were held at Sunderland, and there was also an active Sunday School there. The Rector in 1908 reported in the Mountain Echo that special missionary work was being done by the Woman’s Auxiliary and that meetings were held in the Burdett House loaned by Mr. John L. Burdett.

Mr. Taylor endeared himself to his parishioners by his friendly and in-formal fellowship.

Mrs. Mary A. Adams, of Bennington, who was then living in what, was the Holden House, but now the home of Dr. Russell, remembers that Mr. Taylor was fond of dropping in to see them and eating with them in the kitchen.

Other pastors have found that housewives rather enjoy the Rector’s informal chat on the kitchen doorstep perhaps when a cake is just ready to go into the oven.

Alfred Taylor was an Englishman, born in England February sixth, 1856.

He came to Vermont in 1897 and in February of that year became Rector of St. James’ Church, Hydeville, Vermont.

After a rectorship of two years Mr. Taylor was called to the diocese of Connecticut.

From Connecticut he returned to Vermont in 1905 to become Rector of this parish.

After a rectorship of four years he resigned to take the position of Canon of the Cathedral at Albany, New York.

In 1890 Mr. Taylor was married to Nellie Agnes Knapp, of Chestertown, New York; the ceremony took place in Glens Falls, New York. The Rev. Fenwick M. Cookson officiated.

Mr. Taylor died December 19, 1932.

His funeral occurred in the Church of the Messiah, Chestertown, New York, with the Rev. V. A. Springsted and the Rev. W. W. Lockwood officiating.

The Rev. William Meyler Warlow began his rectorship of St. James’ Parish on May eighth, 1911 and continued his ministry in the parish until

November thirtieth, 1915.

His daughter, Mrs. Constance May Lyons, of Montpelier, at the writer’s request has kindly contributed a few facts relating to Mr. Warlow’s personal life and ministry.

Mr. Warlow was born in Monmouth, Wales, and received the degree of Master of Arts from Queens College, Cambridge University.

He rowed in the Cambridge and Oxford boat races and since his return to England in 1915 he has attended the annual dinner and reunion of the members of his crew every year.

Mr. Warlow’s first parish was in Liverpool where he was Curate of the Cathedral Parish Church.

He also ministered in Kelso, Scotland, and in Henlow, Bedfordshire, and Lincolnshire, England.

After coming to America he took charge of three mission churches in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Leaving the diocese of Michigan he came to the diocese of Vermont where he was first Rector of Grace Church, Sheldon, and then came to Arlington.

In October 1886, Mr. Warlow married Helen DeBugh Lawson, daughter of Sir Henry DeBugh Lawson, Bart Gattenley Castle, Yorkshire, England. They had two children, Mrs. Charles Lyons, of Montpelier, Vermont, and Capt. Sydney Warlow, Royal Air Force, England.
Mrs. Warlow died seven years ago in England.

Mr. Warlow was very fond of walking, and while he was in Vermont would climb mountains and visit people who hardly ever saw a minister. He was also fond of story telling and had a keen sense of humor. The Rev. Walter Bamford who was Rector of Zion Church, Manchester, at the time Mr. Warlow was in Arlington used to speak of him as a "cheery person.

Mrs. Lyons says that her father booked his passage on the Lusitania to return to England on that fateful year.

At the last minute a newspaperman in Bennington, Vermont, begged him to cancel his passage for another boat, which he did.

He sailed on an American steamer and the Lusitania passed them and they waved. The next day they received word that she had been sunk by a submarine.

Today Mr. Warlow is eighty-one years old, and in writing to his daughter a few weeks ago from England he said that he was quite well and so far safe from the terrible bombs, which come over them by day and night.

He sleeps in a room on the ground floor and if necessary he goes down into a room in the basement when the house shakes and the bedrock’s.

Mrs. Dorothy Canfield Fisher tells the following story of an incident during Mr. Warlow’s rectorship:

"Of course with the arrival of each new Rector in a parish an adjustment is necessary between him and his parishioners - unless by chance he may have grown up among them. But in all the years of the life of St. James, no boy in the Church had ever become a clergyman and returned to his old home as Rector. So that each new incumbent has been obliged to make the same researches among his new charges, to see what kind of people they are. This preliminary exploration has always been carried on with notably patient good-will on both sides, the people of the parish as much interested to see what kind of a personality the new Rector has, and what his family is like, as they too learn the ways of Vermonters among whom they find themselves.

"An instance of this is a tiny episode in the early days of Mr. Warlow’s stay here, which occasioned much good natured laughter among the people of town. Some Arlingtonians, interested in bird-lore, following a bird he was trying to identify, had stepped into the side yard of the Rectory, and training his opera glasses on the tree into which the bird had flown, stood gazing up, waiting for a chance for a good long identifying gaze. Mrs. Warlow looked out of the window, saw this, called a friendly question, ‘What is it you’re looking for?’

"‘A bird I don’t know. But I can’t seem to see him.’

‘Oh, wait a minute,’ said Mrs. Warlow. ‘I’ll help you.’ With her head full of associations of ideas with the extremely poor and ignorant slum people with whom she and Mr. Warlow had been working in the mission-parish where they had been before coming to Arlington, she stepped up to the man with the opera glass (he, like most Vermonters, was practically a professional expert with any kind of mechanical equipment) took the glass from his hand and explained kindly, ‘You probably haven’t got it focused. See, this is how you do it - this little screw, you take hold of it, so, between your thumb and finger, and run it carefully one way and the other, till,’ brightly and encouragingly as to a dull child dismayed with a problem beyond his powers, ‘all of a sudden you’ll see Perfectly clearly through the glasses. Just try. You can do it.’

"Her interlocutor’s jaw had dropped in total incredulous amazement as she talked. When she finished, he closed his mouth, swallowed hard, drew a long breath, and purple with suppressed amusement, said pleasantly, ‘Oh, thank you very much, Mrs. Warlow. Yes, I see now,’ vanishing as he spoke around the corner of the brick house next door, where he leaned up against the woodshed laughing till he was almost too weak to stand.

"This became one of the stock jokes of town. ‘Wait a minute. I’ll help you. See this little screw?’ was the hilarious preface to any offer to help, especially to an extra competent person. Yet in that laughter there was no resentment. Nobody dreamed of thinking that Mrs. Warlow was being ‘condescending.’ Everyone understood the mental processes which, given her recent experience with parishioners, had led her to that absurd mistake, and so discreetly was the joke enjoyed that, as far as anyone knows, Mrs. Warlow was never aware of it."
The Rev. Kiliaen Van Rensselaer Gibson was Rector of St. James’ Parish during the World War.

He was called to the rectorship of the parish by the Vestry at its meeting March eighteenth, 1917, and assumed charge at the services on Easter Day. His salary was $1,000.

Though his stay was short in the parish he was an active and enthusiastic worker, and he made great effort to maintain the morale of the parish in the time of anxiety and uncertainty.

The church bell was rung each day at noon, and the people joined in prayer at that time.

The Rev. Mr. Gibson also made every effort to interest lapsed mem-bers by intensive visiting, pastoral letters, special services and parish programs.

He cooperated with Miss "Mattie’ Canfield in her faithful work in the Sunday School.

In an effort to build up the membership he formed a Boy Scout troop, and acted as Scoutmaster until he secured Mr. Ralph Nichols to

serve in that capacity.

He conducted services of meditation in Lent, and two confirmation classes were prepared during his rectorship.

He also organized a Brotherhood of St. Andrew group.

Quite a number of young men were confirmed during his rectorship.

Mr. Gibson has five children, now grown up, two of whom, Stuyvesant and Van Rensselaer, Jr., were small children in the Rectory during his ministry at Arlington.

In the fall of 1918, Mr. Gibson resigned to take up work in the Diocese of Western New York.

Mr. Gibson is a direct descendant of Governor Petrus Stuyvesant and of Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, Patroon of Albany; he is a cousin of Hamilton Fish. He is an author, poet and lecturer. He was born in New York City July, ninth, 1889.

In his early youth he belonged to Trinity Parish, New York City and received his elementary education at Trinity School, New York.

He was graduated from Columbia College in 1911 and entered General Theological Seminary the same year.

Later he was awarded the Master of Arts degree for work in the field of education.

In 1916 he was ordained to the Diaconate and a few months later to the Priesthood in the Diocese of New York.

Mr. Gibson has served either as Rector or Assistant in various churches in New York City and elsewhere.

He assisted for a time at the Church of the Holy Communion, and at this time he was appointed Director of the Department of Religious Education which he organized along the lines of modern educational methods.

He was also connected with All Souls’ Church, New York, and later he was Rector of St. James’ Church, Arlington, and of Christ Church, Pittsford, New York.

In 1921-22 he was Minister in Charge of St. John’s Church, Yonkers. Here he instituted the noonday service, organized a large young men’s Bible Class and introduced publicity methods.

For a number of years past he has been Vicar of St. Mary’s, Yonkers.

During his ministry he has served on various Church boards and Committees, has been actively interested in the American Guild of Health and the Society of the Nazarene.

He has conducted radio "question hours" on Religion and Life problems and has published works as follows:

"The Faith that Overcomes the World" (1923); "The Master’s Secret of Power" (1931); "Brave Lindbergh and Other Poems" (1937); two of his Christmas Carols, "The Bethlehem Way" and "Our Bethlehem Star Babe" have been considered for the Revised Hymnal. Mr. Gibson is a scholar who has made comprehensive study in the psychology of religion.

The Rev. Sherwood Roosevelt was called to the rectorship of this parish on November tenth, 1918 and continued as Rector until his death September twenty-fourth, 1923.

Mr. Roosevelt’s ministry in Arlington was faithful and efficient. He was a good pastor and a leader in worthy community enterprises. For a time he was a member of the School Board and was one of those who were active in support of the campaign to build the Arlington Memorial School, which in November 1940 was burned to the ground. During his ministry fifty-three persons were baptized and twenty- five were confirmed.

On January 2, 1920, Miss Martha H. Canfield, a "Mother in Israel," a lifelong member and for forty years a teacher in the Sunday School, entered into rest.

The following resolutions were passed by the Vestry on her death:

"Miss Mattie," as she was known to all, gave to her Church a service so practical and full that it touched and advanced its every interest. Whatever she held as an obligation by a professor of Christianity was discharged in its fullest sense, humbly, consistently and continuously.

In the community her concern was truly Catholic. There were none but righteous restrictions directing the application and administration of her benefactions.

"Citizenship was interpreted by charity and kindness towards all."

At a Vestry meeting held on October tenth, 1920, called to order by the Rector, the Rev. Sherwood Roosevelt, the following resolution was adopted:

"Resolved, That the Rector be requested on behalf of the Vestry and Parish to write James A. Canfield and Mrs. John R. Fisher an expression of their gratitude and appreciation of their more than generous act in placing in the hands of the Vestry a certain portion of the estate of Miss Martha Canfield to be held as a Trust Fund for the maintenance of the services in the parish in Arlington, Vermont. That Mr. Canfield and Mr. and Mrs. Fisher recognized a wish of Miss Martha Canfield as of such force and obligation as though she had made a bequest; that they carried out this wish with an affection, and solicitude for the well being of this Parish which has deeply impressed its members.’’

At a Parish Meeting held on November eighth, 1920 the following resolution was introduced and carried:

"Resolved that the Rector, Wardens and Vestry of St. James’ Protestant Episcopal Church of Arlington, Vermont, be and are hereby authorized to sell and convey the parcels of land recently deeded to said parish by James A. Canfield and Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Fisher by deed dated September twenty-eighth, 1920, and it is further resolved that the proceeds of such sales be placed in the hands of the Trustees of the Diocese of Vermont.

"The interest of said fund to be paid to the Treasurer of St. James’ Protestant Episcopal Church, of Arlington, Vermont.

"Resolved: That this fund be known as the Martha H. Canfield Fund to be thus held and invested by the Trustees of the Diocese of Vermont for the benefit of St. James’ Parish, Arlington, Vermont.

"The amount of the fund is $3,000."


A brief sketch of the life of Sherwood Roosevelt will now be given. Sherwood Roosevelt was born in Southport, Connecticut, April nineteenth, 1855. He was educated in the public schools in Brooklyn, New York, and in a preparatory school at Claverick, New York.
He entered Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, in 1876. He graduated from the College and Theological Seminary in 1880.
He was ordained to the Diaconate in Trinity Cathedral, Omaha, Nebraska, in August, 1880, and to the Priesthood in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the summer of 1881 by the Rt. Rev. J. C. Talbot, DD, Bishop of Indiana.

From 1881 to 1896 Mr. Roosevelt was in Indiana and Michigan, first doing missionary work in Goshen, Indiana, and then in Owosso, Michigan. In 1896, he returned to Brooklyn, New York, where he was Rector of the Church of our Savior from 1896 to 1902.
He was Rector of St. Peter’s, Milford, Connecticut, from 1902 to 1908 when he became a member of the staff of the City Mission Society of New York, remaining there until 1916 when he returned to Connecticut and took charge of St. Peter’s Hebron.
In 1918 Mr. Roosevelt became Rector of St. James Church, Arlington, his last parochial work.

In July twenty-first, 1879, Mr. Roosevelt married Mary Frances Clark of Brooklyn, New York. Their children are Marcus Sherwood, John Talbot, and Calvin Lay. Mrs. Roosevelt is now living with her son Calvin Lay Roosevelt in Milford, Connecticut.
On October twenty-eighth, 1923, the Vestry met and voted to extend a call to the Rev. John Mills Gilbert to the rectorship of the parish at a salary of $1,800 a year and the use of the Rectory.

Mr. Gilbert accepted the call and took charge November first, 1923.

He came from Chester, Pennsylvania, where he had been Rector of Holy Trinity Church for ten years.

Mr. Gilbert writes that he was very happy in Arlington and only left because it seemed necessary for him to be within reach of his father as he was over ninety, and no one of the family remained but himself to care for him.

He says he recalls with pleasure the very fine community spirit that prevailed in Arlington.

His outstanding contribution to the progress of the parish was the work he did for the young people, a work that was not limited to the children of the parish.

Each summer he conducted a "Vacation School" called the "Mayflower Club" for any children of the village who cared to attend, and between twenty-five and thirty were enrolled.

There were classes in various handicrafts, simple woodworking, designing, and stenciling; and for girls, sewing, knitting, and some cooking lessons, beside some games out-of-doors and story telling. There were children from the different churches including some Roman Catholics.

Mr. Gilbert says the boys were much interested in the small wooden furniture, toy cradles, chairs, tables, sleds, etc., and some paper knives with Indian heads on the handle.

One of the boys about ten or eleven years old came to Mr. Gilbert one day and said: "Mr. Gilbert, why can’t we work like they do at the factory from seven in the morning until five in the afternoon? Then we’d get something done."

Francis Squiers, one of the boys, made a wood carving of the Lord’s Prayer, which he presented to the Church and it hangs now on the wall of the Rectory Chapel.

Mrs. Carl Ruggles was among the helpers, and she taught them some songs; while some of the other ladies helped in the girl’s instruction.
Mr. Gilbert himself taught the boys.

The other feature of special interest in Mr. Gilbert’s ministry was his ministry to the ‘‘Silent Churches." Frequently he held services at Sandgate in the Methodist Church, which was then inactive, and also at the North Shaftsbury Methodist Church without a pastor, conducting the service in the afternoon accompanied by some members of the Young People’s Fellowship.

He also conducted bi-weekly gatherings during the winter in the Community House.

These meetings were of a religious nature, conducted after the manner of a panel discussion.

Mr. Gilbert and his family were well esteemed in Arlington and they still are remembered with affection by the people of St. James’ Parish.

When asked to give a sketch of his life Mr. Gilbert modestly said he did not know what to include that would be of any particular interest.
His life, he said, had been very much the sort of life that many clergymen live, perhaps moving about a little more than some others, yet with what he considered a valid reason for each move.

John Mills Gilbert was born in Chatham, New Jersey, the son of George Walker Gilbert and Amelia Mills Gilbert.

He was graduated from St. Stephen’s College in 1890 and granted the degree of Master of Arts in 1913.

In 1893 Mr. Gilbert graduated from the General Theological Seminary. He was ordained to the Diaconate in 1892, and to the Priesthood in 1894, by Bishop Doane, of Albany.

On April twenty-seventh, 1 899, he married Mary Linn Starr of New York City. Their children are - Isabel who married the Rev. Tom Greenwood. They are living in England, and Constance who is now Mrs. Lawrence Greenman, of Worcester, Massachusetts.

Mr. Gilbert began his ministry as Rector of Calvary Church, Burnt Hills, New York, in 1894.

His other rectorships were as follows: Curate, St. Peter’s Church, Morristown, New Jersey, 1894-97; Grace Church, Waterford, New York, 1897-1900; Vicar Chapel of Heavenly Rest, New York City, 1900-1903; Rector, St. John’s Church, Phelps, 1903-06; Assistant, St. Paul’s Church, Buffalo, 1906-09; Rector, St. Paul’s Church, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1909-13; Rector, Church of the Holy Trinity, West Chester, Pennsylvania, 1913-23; Rector of St. James Church, Arlington, Vermont, 1923-1925; Rector, Christ Church, Sharon, 1925.
Mr. Gilbert is now retired. He was a Deputy to the General Convention in 1913. He is an author and has published the following poems: "Christmas Eve in the City" (Poems 1914, Gorham Press - Poems in periodicals).

The Rev. W. J. Brown, Rector of Zion Church, Manchester, also a venerable parish with a notable history, has on his own initiative kindly contributed the following sketch:

"Any account of the Rectorship of the Reverend George Robert Brush in Saint James’ Parish, Arlington, should be prefaced by a paragraph or two concerning the very splendid and enthusiastic work of Doctor Watkins in the period between the departure of the former Rector and the coming of the incumbent who forms the subject of this chapter.

"Doctor Watkins had seen sufficient instances of the decay and disintegration that frequently comes to a parish in the period between the coming and going of rectors. One felt grateful for all his forward-looking teaching and preaching. Realizing that the task of the next rector would be a very full and exacting one, the congregations were urged to do all that they could by way of preparation for the arrival of their new Rector. Guilds and parochial organizations were not allowed to do what the organizations of so many parishes do in such an interim, suspend business or go into a state of comfortable ease, rather they were exhorted to be up and doing. All of this zeal and enthusiasm on the part of Doctor Watkins and the people was bound to have a most encouraging and stimulating effect on the beginning of Mr. Brush’s work. Few parishes in the Church have been so fortunate as was Arlington in having such a devoted and disinterested clergyman for their friend and helper in days of difficulty and uncertainty.

"Toward the end of the winter of 1926, the Reverend George R. Brush, who had for some time been the Church’s devoted missionary and pastor to the Missions in the Lamoille Valley decided to relinquish his work in northern Vermont and take up the work in Arlington. Coming to Arlington and finding the Parish not only eager for a settled pastor but also well organized and ready to go ahead must have been a great source of comfort and encouragement. The Parish too must have been encouraged with the arrival of the Rector and his family. His good wife with her singular devotion and varying gifts was indeed a welcome addition to the Parochial family and the "Brush Boys" with their varying and various talents were also of considerable value to the Parochial set up.

Mr. Brush’s rich and varied experience in the work of the country parish not only here among us in Vermont, but in other areas of the Church previous to his coming to Vermont gave him an understanding of the work in Arlington that was altogether vital and valued. The missionary zeal and enthusiasm, which had characterized his work in other portions of the Vermont vineyard, were soon evidenced in the Arlington Cure. Scattered communicants in Shaftsbury, Sandgate and Sunderland were looked up and encouraged to make use of the Church and its privileges and attempts to maintain services in these places so that the needs of our people might be more fully met were accomplished with an encouraging measure of success.

It is to be regretted that these outposts, which were at one time strongholds of the church have as the years, have come and gone become places where the Church is hardly known. A good deal of time and a good deal of money would be necessary to maintain an adequate work in such places and these are not at the disposal of the rector in Arlington, in fact nowhere in Vermont are our clergy able to do for the outlying districts what might be done if time and funds were available.

The visit of Bishop Hall to the Parish in October 1929 was indeed memorable. On that occasion the Centennial of the Laying of the Cornerstone of the Parish Church was observed. The commemoration was preceded by a banquet in the Arlington Hotel with addresses by the Bishop and other visiting guests and the event was also marked by the presence of many former parishioners who had returned for the occasion. The service with the sermon by Bishop Hall on Sunday was indeed worthy of the occasion. This occasion was in many ways a most fitting prelude for the Sesquicentennial of the founding of the Parish, which was observed in the summer of 1934 with Dr. Watkins as the preacher. The gracious presence of Bishop Hall was missing from this notable gathering and was commented on by many of those present. One did feel that presence though as one realized in fuller measure the Communion of Saints. All through that observance there was the continual remembrance of that procession of noble souls who all down through the years had labored to make St. James’ Parish what it is today.

In 1932, a definite and successful attempt was made to make the Parish more fully realize its Diocesan relationships and contacts. The Historical Pageant of that year, written by Mrs. Dorothy Canfield Fisher, was a most worthy and moving presentation. As the characters portraying the early Bishops of Vermont came upon the stage, which the chancel of the Church provided and told of some of the vicissitudes of travel and of their efforts to reach Arlington for their visitation, one got a better idea of the work of other days. Doctor Watkins who took the part of Bishop Hopkins and told the people of the tipping over of the coach in which he was traveling toward Arlington was able to bring before the congregation a very vivid picture of Vermont roads of earlier days.

During the Rectorship of Mr. Brush, things material as well as things spiritual were continually supplying ample evidence of improvement. Soon after his arrival in the Parish an effort was begun to provide more adequate lighting facilities for the Church and the year 1927 witnessed the installation of suitable fixtures for the lighting of the Church. Later on in this year the effort was made and completed for the building of the wall surrounding the Churchyard. This latter effort was of course the forerunner of another effort to gather funds with which to clean up and improve the condition of the graves within the churchyard. Nineteen hundred thirty saw the beginning of a fund for this purpose. This fund was to serve as a sort of permanent endowment for the care and improvement of the Churchyard and it is interesting to note that in the year 1940 this endowment had reached the sum of $1,985.00. In this same Rectorship two other bequests to the endowment funds of the Parish should be noted: the bequest of Doctor Watkins of $2,000.00 for the maintenance of the Parish and the bequest of Mr. George H. Wadleigh in 1938 of $6,000.00 to be used either for the improvement and alteration of the chancel or else for the general endowment for the maintenance of the Parish. These substantial gifts were indeed a help.

The year 1935 was singularly notable for gifts and improvements. It was in this year that a vested choir took its place in the chancel and that a processional cross in memory of Clarence Dyer Gilchrist, the gift of his wife and friends, was given for use in connection with the choir.

The year 1936 witnessed the redecoration of the Church in a manner altogether fitting. The organ had been greatly helped and strengthened a year or so previous by the addition of an electric motor and blower.

No more beautiful or more valuable improvement has ever been made to the Parish than the enrichment of the Sanctuary by the installation in 1938 of the memorial Reredos, over the Altar, given by Mrs. Edward Cushing and family in memory of her parents, the Reverend Doctor Schureman Halsted Watkins and Helen Randolph Watkins. This beautiful work carved in Oberammergau by one of the talented workmen of that quaint old city is indeed a most fitting memorial to two people who in their lifetime loved and labored greatly for the Parish. The Incarnation and the Resurrection, which are so wonderfully depicted in the Reredos, were subjects on which Doctor Watkins had preached a great number of sermons and ably testify to the importance of the Church’s teaching concerning these things and how highly he valued that teaching. He never seemed to tire of calling people’s attention to the necessity for a right belief concerning these great truths. One looks upon this lovely work and thinks of him in whose memory it is set up and then there comes the thought, "He being dead yet speaketh."

The last Sunday in June 1930 was made notable by the visitation of Bishop Booth for the blessing and setting apart of the large and commodious rectory just south of the Church, which had been presented, to the Parish under a bequest from Mr. John Lathrop Burdett. The Burdett family had for several generations been deeply interested in the life and work of St. James’ Parish and this gift, to be known as the Burdett Memorial Rectory, was indeed a fitting memorial to the individual donor as well as the former members of his family. Spacious and generous in its proportions it offered ample room to the family of the Rector who also found in the house opportunity for devoting one of the rooms to the purposes of a Chapel, for weekday services and for services on any occasion when the Church was not available. The former Rectory was soon afterward put on the market and in due time a desirable purchaser appeared. This addition of real property is notable and helps us all to realize the value and importance of a suitable rectory in the country Cure.

Every Rectory has its days of sunshine and shadow and a real heavy shadow fell upon the Arlington Rectory when in 1936 the final illness of Anna Brush, the wife of the Rector, became apparent to all. Six long months of painful suffering and distress were her lot ere she entered into the "Rest that Remaineth," but those months were characterized by great faith, patience and fortitude and her departure left her family with some very precious memories of an earnest and well-lived Christian life. Her courage and steadfastness all through the days of her pilgrimage even unto the end remain as a perpetual challenge to the members of her family as well as to the members of the Parish generally, and they speak volumes concerning her quiet and devout life with all its care and interest in the rearing of her family and the work she felt called upon to do in her Parish.

A Rectorship of thirteen years seems like a very long one for these modern days but for Mr. Brush the days were so filled with work that the time must have seemed full short. Though the days were full with the affairs of Arlington and the efforts of its Rector to preach and teach the truths for which the Church stood; yet he was ever ready to give aid and assistance in other parishes whenever the opportunity and his strength permitted.

The Parish Message, a little paper that the Rector published as well as edited and printed, had a wide circulation and for thirteen years not less than one hundred copies were printed and circulated each week. This might be considered a most valuable work, in fact one of the most valuable works of any rectorship. By means of this little publication the people were kept in touch with their Parish, absentees from service always had an opportunity to share in the church’s teaching and thinking for the days and seasons. The work of the pulpit was indeed greatly extended by means of this effort.

One cannot pass over the rich and fruitful rectorship of Mr. Brush without recalling the efforts from time to time to strengthen the ties of parochial friendship with the neighboring parishes. Notable among these was the joint effort on the part of Zion Church, Manchester, and the parish in Arlington to entertain the Diocesan gathering of the Woman’s Auxiliary in 1928 in Arlington.

That year marked the fiftieth anniversary of the organization of the Auxiliary in Vermont, and the gathering in Arlington was inspiring and enthusiastic. The expense of hospitality and the provision for lodging of the delegates to this meeting during their stay in the parish was borne jointly by the two parishes, and was a very happy demonstration of how some of the smaller parishes might gain for themselves the inspiration and encouragement that always come from a Diocesan gathering of this nature.

A ministry of great fruitfulness and zeal came to its close in the year 1939, when the Rector retired from active parochial work, and with his family moved from the Rectory.

Life for him had been enriched by his years in Arlington; the Parish had been enriched and blessed by his ministrations, and the people, with many of whom he shared deep personal sorrows as well as joys, were also blessed."

Note. – Sunderland has since the rectorship of the Rev. Frederick A. Wadleigh (1844 - 1864), received frequent ministrations from the Rectors of St. James' Parish. Mr. Wadleigh during his long ministry at Arlington speaks in his annual reports to the Convention of holding services there with good congregations, and also of teaching a Sunday School. These services were probably held in a church building at Sunderland borough, which was taken down many years ago.

During the rectorship of the Rev. Richard C. Searing (1888 - 1893) a Union Church was built by the people of Sunderland, and Mr. Searing was active in this effort, though at no time was there an Episcopal organization there.

The Rev. G. R. Brush in 1929 began a Sunday School which was held on Friday afternoons after school at the Sunderland school house. This school was maintained for two years with an attendance of about twelve scholars, but after the first year it was conducted at the home of Miss Nettie Houghton since deceased.

From 1931 to 1937 Episcopal services were conducted both summer and winter at the Union Church every Sunday, the Rev. W. J. Brown of Zion Church, Manchester, and Mr. Brush taking the services on alternate Sundays.

During 1937 the Rev. J. Elmer McKee, whose summer home is in Sunderland, had charge of the services. Mr. McKee is now Rector at Peterborough, New Hampshire.

Now that a review has been made of the life and work of the Rectors during Bishop Hall's episcopate it remains to record some impressions as to the Bishop's relations to diocesan life and of his personal association with his clergy.

Bishop Hall was impatient of inaccuracies and inconsistencies and often bluntly rebuked those who were dilatory in making their reports or who fell short in some duty.

From time to time in annual conventions Bishop Hall made definite pronouncements in formal discourses, which he termed "Charges," clearly defining the teaching of the Church in doctrine, discipline and worship. These Charges, the fruit of the Bishop’s ripe scholarship, were looked upon by his clergy as classics in theology, and gave him the position of a spiritual leader, not only in his own diocese but in General Convention where he was recognized as an authority on the doctrine and polity of the Church.

His Conferences with the clergy at Rock Point for group study and discussion were rare privileges to the clergy and gave opportunity for a better understanding of the bishop’s habits of thought and life, and in particular his prayer-life was most edifying and convincing.
In his exegesis of the Bible the Bishop was very practical and helpful, and in questions about the Prayer Book and its rubrics, and the canons of the Church he was always direct and clear, and whether personally in agreement with all of his conclusions or not the clergy always gave him their respect and confidence.

Bishop Hall, though often called to speak and conduct missions without the diocese, yet often traveled in Vermont on country roads regardless of weather conditions, to hold services and preach simply to small groups of a dozen persons or less.

In 1911 Bishop Hall, feeling that his health was being undermined, and that he could no longer give the diocese the care, which he felt it should have, especially in the rigors of winter, had offered to resign.

The convention was much averse to this and, with the reluctant consent of the Bishop, voted to elect a Bishop Coadjutor.
At the convention of 1912 the Rev. William Farrar Weeks, then Rector of Trinity Church, Shelburne was elected the first Bishop Coadjutor of Vermont.

Mr. Weeks was a priest who had served in the diocese for many years and was well known and beloved, being at this time Secretary of the diocese.

In some respects he was like the present Bishop of the diocese, the Rt. Rev. Vetter Van Dyck, DD, a good administrator, most genial and approachable and especially beloved in the country parishes.

He was a loyal supporter of Bishop Hall, a good pastor, and fond of fishing and outdoors.

His leadership was strong, but he was humble in spirit.

To the great sorrow of the diocese, Bishop Weeks was stricken at the very outset of his labors as Coadjutor with cancer and lived only a few months after his consecration.

His successor, the Rev. George Yemens Bliss, was another of the outstanding clergy of the diocese at that time, and when elected Bishop was the Rector of St. Paul’s, Burlington, his first and only rectorship. He began his ministry as Assistant to the Rev. J. Isham Bliss, his uncle, who was Rector of St. Paul’s, Burlington, for many years. After his death the Rev. George Y. Bliss became Rector. Bishop Bliss was consecrated as Coadjutor of the Diocese of Vermont in 1915, and became a devoted and efficient leader in the missionary work of the diocese of which Bishop Hall gave him complete charge.

Bishop Bliss was an indefatigable worker. He would start out with one of his missionary priests on his itinerary, traveling with him from early morning until late in the evening, and after preaching and confirming in three and sometimes four mission stations he seemed still fresh and vigorous.

The Bishop did not drive an automobile, but was always ready to make trips with the missionary in his Model T Ford, however uncertain it was in its movements.

Bishop Bliss was a graduate of the University of Vermont, and at the time of his election as Bishop Coadjutor the University conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.

Because of his scholarly equipment, his catholic Churchmanship, and his familiarity with Vermont traditions, he was very valuable in his office as Bishop Coadjutor.

His successful service for many years as parish priest in a large city parish was fruitful in giving him wisdom and judgment in his wider field of leadership.

But again the diocese suffered the loss of its Coadjutor. Bishop Bliss, after nine years of strenuous work in the diocese, was stricken and died in 1924.

These were trying years for the diocese, but most trying for Bishop Hall who in his declining years had come to rely on the calm and judicious counsel of his Coadjutor.

But the diocese must press on, and it soon became the general feeling that the diocese must look outside its borders for help.



Next | Back | History